How to avoid Looking like an American Tourist
Just try it: DailyTripFinder.com
Travelling is part of everybody’s dreams. It is not always right to bring your race to the place you visit because it may affect negatively.
Here are the things you must consider in order to appear as an ordinary tourist:
- Bring out your better side. Instead of sticking on your usual style as an American tourist, you must try something new. Forget about your jeans, shorts, sneakers, and t-shirts. If you are able to study the local people’s fashion, there’s no need to worry. Go away with the athletic shorts. You surely travel not for a sports events but for visiting different places.
- Choose your outfit according to the current weather. You will look crazy if you wear a leather jacket during summer or sleeveless on a winter season. When it comes to color, you must be observant on the common preference of the majority. It will save you from being totally different.
- Expose your body’s shape with the right swimwear. There are countries that require the people to wear swimming cap and speedo. If you go to a country which ignores the use of swim short, you need to follow.
- Wear the right footwear
- Leave your athletic shoes at home. This pair of shoes will obviously reveal your identity as an American tourist. You must prefer those shoes which re not intended for exercise. There are brands of shoes which are ideal to wear. If you are comfortable with sandals, those open-toed ones are great choices. If you have chosen the right pair, you won’t feel conscious anymore. City walking will be more enjoyable and at ease.
- When choosing the color of socks, the dark ones are highly recommended. It is also a tactic on how to avoid looking like an American tourist.
- When it comes to bags, towels, and clothes, travelers must temporarily forget the touch of “America”. Avoid those printed shirts with the name of the state or design of the flag. Furthermore, clothing with US brands like Abercombie and Gap must be left at home. If you don’t want to look as American tourist, just wear those without a slogan or detailed prints.
- Purchase accessories at the local stores. You may want to look like a native citizen of the country you visit. There are countries wherein most people have scarves and hats. For religious locations, one is required to wear a head covering. You must conform to the norms as a form of respect to the people around you. Before going to other nation, it is an advantage if you conducted a research about its cultures and standards. If you wear a headscarf in the wrong way, local people might get annoyed on how you modify their customs.
- Don’t be picky on foods. There are restaurants which will offer you condiments that you don’t like. Instead of showing disgust, show that you are grateful.
- Challenge yourself to eat local foods. Instead of buying pizza and burgers, try the local food culture. By doing so, you won’t miss anything from your travel.
The entire experience will be great if you will forget about your usual clothing, preference, and behavior in America. It is nice to embrace other nation’s culture to appreciate them better.